I felt surprisingly good after my first marathon in December. The first few days were the worst as my legs and back ached mercilessly. It was hard work even walking up and down stairs and every time I moved another fresh jolt of pain seemed to hit me. My wife told me that I was walking like a teenage boy who had just been circumcised!! After about 3 days my pains had faded to dull aches and I felt nearly human again. The body is extremely resilient and it is surprising how quickly it repairs itself after such an ordeal. My mind too was healing itself. During the last few miles of the marathon I had made up my mind that this would be my first and last assault on the 26.2 mile monster. Now only a few days later I was contemplating a new running challenge and mentally preparing ideas to push myself even further.
So what next. My best friend Mike had helped me through the last marathon so I was unsure if he would fancy going through those same hardships again. Running a marathon is tough on your body, and tough on your mind, you really need strength in both to pull through. Mike has these in abundance and despite the pain and lack of training miles he pulled both of us through the last marathon without a single complaint. I know him well enough to realise that like me he was in a lot of pain and it was his strength and determination that kept us going. Doing it another time even for such a good friend might just be too much to ask. Now I faced a difficult decision as I was sure I wanted to run but pretty sure I would be doing the next challenge on my own.
I came to the conclusion that if I were going to run and seek sponsorship again then I would need to do something special which would encourage people to donate. I toyed with the idea of running an Ultra Marathon. This would have been 50K of sheer hell and to be honest at this stage of my brief running career I am not sure my body could physically take it. I am also not sure that I could complete it within the time limits set by the organisers without injuring myself. Another option was the London Marathon but as entries are closed for this may have to be a challenge for 2012 if I get through the ballot stage.
In the end I decided on something which I feel will be a huge challenge for me. Something which will push me to the limit and give me a real sense of achievement if and when I complete it. In 2011 it is my intention to run 4 complete marathons within 12 months. This is an enormous challenge because I am not a natural runner and have to push myself hard to get through even moderately long distances. Since starting training in May last year I am much fitter and confident I can complete the challenge but it is still quite daunting to think of all the miles of training I will need to get through. I am planning to run at the Sussex Marathon Festival in April, the South Downs Marathon in June followed by the Isle of Wight Marathon in October and my old friend the Portsmouth Marathon in December. This may change as I have yet to secure entries to some of the races but I will confirm as and when the organisers post the dates for each event. If I cannot get into one race I will try to find another but by the end of the year I hope to have completed another 4 marathons.
This year I am running for Cancer Research UK and the Bobby Moore Fund both excellent charities who do fantastic work with limited funds. I ran for Cancer Research UK last year and this year I decided to include the Bobby Moore Fund as this deals specifically with Bowel Cancer. My Mum suffered initially with Bowel Cancer which she beat before eventually succumbing to Breast Cancer in 2008. I have a strong connection to both charities so urge you to donate if you possibly can. My challenge will last throughout 2011 so please support me and give whatever you can as it really does make a difference. I am collecting donations this year through Virgin Money Giving as they are a non-profit organisation which means that every penny goes directly to the charities concerned. If you are a UK taxpayer you can also claim Gift Aid which gives an added boost to your donation.
I previously mentioned in my past blogs all the special people I was running for. From my Mum through to relatives and friends I have known so many people have been affected by this horrible disease. Also the families and friends who have lost someone to Cancer my run is for you. I feel your pain and give my support in the only way I can… by running with you in my heart. I am also running for people who have suffered and beaten Cancer and for the brave people who are just beginning their own fight. Be brave and be strong and don’t ever give up.
Thank you so much for all the emails, FB and Twitter posts and messages of support that I received during the build up to my last run as they really helped me get through it. When you run on your own it is easy to give up but having so many people behind me meant that quitting was never an option. Thanks also to RL for your messages and bravery. Receiving a message of support from you made every step worthwhile. You are a great man, a fantastic family man who I respect more than you will ever know. You have your own fight yet still find time to push yourself to raise money for others. You are an inspiration so this challenge is very much for you too.
Thanks also to my wife and son who have put up with me getting up at 5.30 every morning to run. They have also come to all my preparation races including the marathon in some of the worst weather conditions the UK could throw at us. I really and truly could not have completed a marathon without you both.
Lastly thanks to my friend and running partner Mike who has supported me throughout. He has stuck by me whatever silly running idea I have had which means so much. I am absolutely delighted that when I mentioned my plans for running 4 marathons next year he instantly said he’d do it too. I was expecting that maybe he would run one race with me but he said that he would try to run the lot if work or personal commitments allowed. He is the backbone of our running partnership and the person who knows me best. Running with him is the best part of doing a marathon and I know my mum would be equally as proud of him as I am.
Anyway thank you so much for all your donations last year you are all very special people and I am forever in your debt. This year the challenge starts here. Please follow our run and give us all the support and encouragement you can.
If you wish to donate you can do so by following the link below:
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/run4cancer
For all the special people out there and most importantly my Mum, this is for you. I am still trying to make you proud!
No comments:
Post a Comment